Dear Friend,

Welcome to Lost Art Cards and Designs.

You might find tiny bouquets on paper, pretty places, words of encouragement, the artwork of others, or a quote from a good book.

My hope is that you will find something that delights the eye of your heart and remains a part of you for a lifetime.

Followers

One facet of the creativity in my soul.

Project Organization: Wedding Invitations

Project Organization: these are the steps I followed in order to complete my project.

Before beginning this project, I decided upon an organizational process so that I could complete it according to my friend's timeline and expectations.
wedding invitation 

 Determining Design

1. Discuss design ideas with your client. Keep in mind your limitations, such as materials cost and procurement, machinery needed, and possible outsourcing.   Prepare some physical examples so that your client can feel and see the quality of your work. Discuss paper color and type for each part of the invitation as well as appropriate paper weight.  After research, I learned that invitation paper weight should be at least 100 lbs., but most often it is 120 lbs.

Questions I asked about the design:

What is the theme of your wedding?
Are you looking for a rustic or more elegant style for your invitations? Would you describe yourselves as aglamorous couple or more plain and simple, modern or old-fashioned?

Let their preferences guide you.

What size invitation would you like?
Would you like me to design enclosures, envelopes?
Would you like a lined envelope? A decorated envelope?
Do you have a picture that can show me what you are thinking about for the design of your invitation?
How many invitations do you need?  ( remember most stamps use the Angel Policy, don't violate it)
When would you like your invitations to be completed?

2. Make sure you can reasonably meet your client's deadline, keeping in mind there are always unexpected elements that pop up.  Plan to meet their deadline with no exception.

3.  Research suppliers for the availability of materials, giving yourself enough lead time for shipping, out of stock, client mind changes and unexpected personal events before agreeing to the project.

Make Checklists

1. Materials checklist, including product name, color, style, UPC if possible ( in case a reorder is necessary), suppliers and cost of each product used.

2. Client response communication checklist, which includes an area for them to agree upon and designate their design preferences.  This helps to guide their thinking as they consider which design they will select.

3. Design process checklist, a step by step plan outline , listing every step in order to complete the project on time.

4.  Project completion timeline and hours worked form.

5.  Any additional client gift ideas that you might want to work on, if time permits.

Keep a project folder and a project box. Label them so they are easily identified. I found these to be very valuable in completing my project.

Expect and leave time for solutions to the problems that may arise while working on the project. Order extra materials if you think it may be necessary to allow for mistakes such as mis-folds or stamping errors.

Since this was a gift from me to my friends, I did not create a payment form. But if you are accepting payment for your work, make one and give it to your client. Though I researched what payment would be reasonable for the time I spent in design and making the actual invitation set should I be chosen to do this in the future , I could not find good information.  Formally agree on payment terms, so that your relationship will remain on good terms.

Project Presentation:

1.  Determine a professional way to present the invitations to your client.  There are many suppliers that have sturdy letter boxes available for a small price.  Decide whether or not to embellish the invitation box.

2. Present the completed project to your client, in this case, my friend, and cherish their expression of joy.

Next post: design process details, including links for the supplies I used and thanks to all my suppliers. Hope you will keep reading.








   

0 comments:

Post a Comment